Chocolate For Dog: Treat a Dog Who Has Eaten Chocolate

Chocolate For Dog: Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which can increase heart rate, raise blood pressure, and even cause seizures in dogs.

Dogs must be treated immediately if they eat chocolate, since the more chocolate and the longer it is in their device, the greater the risk to them.

Part1: Hire veterinary care

Hire veterinary care

Estimate the amount and type of chocolate your dog eats:

Make sure you have the most information about the amount and type of chocolate that you have eaten when you contact your vet. The information will allow him to give you the best advice.

  • Baker’s chocolate is the most toxic type of chocolate to dogs, and milk chocolate is the least dangerous. Dark and semisweet chocolate fall somewhere in the middle. The toxic dose of theobromine ranges from 9 mg to 18 mg per pound. Baker chocolate contains an average of 390 mg per ounce, semisweet chocolate contains 150 mg per ounce, and milk chocolate contains 44 mg per ounce.

To Read: Vaccination: what you need to do for your dog

Immediately call your veterinarian to tell you what to do:

He or she will tell you what next steps to take, whether those steps are to bring your dog to his office or take steps to save him at home.

  • Small amounts of chocolate can cause some diarrhea and stomach pain. However, you should contact your doctor no matter how much chocolate he consumed, because dogs’ body responses can vary.

Take your dog to the vet clinic:

If your doctor advises you to do so. Your vet has the knowledge, staff, medicine, and equipment to handle overdose.

  • The vet has medication for vomiting in case the chocolate was consumed within the previous hour.
  • In some cases, your pet may need to be hospitalized overnight and the best option would be an emergency hospital 24 hours.

Call an emergency veterinarian if the usual veterinarian is unavailable:

Accidents do not usually happen during work time, so if you need advice during non-business hours, find an alternative veterinarian to advise or look after your dog’s condition.

  • There are some clinics specialized in animal emergencies. These places usually open many hours and are good places to care for a sick dog.

Part2: Stimulating vomiting

Stimulating vomiting

Try to induce vomiting if your vet advises you to do so:

You should only do this if your dog consumed chocolate within the previous hour and had no nervous symptoms (shiver) yet. Remember, there are potentially deadly complications when trying to make your dog vomit.

  • Give the dog about 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (3%). Mix it with water in a 50:50 ratio. You are more likely to spill a lot of it if you try to give it to your dog with a spoon, so save an oral dosing syringe in your dog first aid kit.

Watch your dog for about a quarter of an hour:

Take him outside and watch closely. This should be useful because you will be watching the dog in motion. It would also be a better place for your dog to vomit.

  • If the peroxide does not induce vomiting after 15 minutes, give the dog a second dose and wait.

Do not give Proxeed again:

If your dog has not vomited after 30 minutes, do not give him another dose. Too much peroxide can harm it.

  • There are possible side effects of taking hydrogen peroxide, even if you take it only once. These symptoms include: moderate to severe cramping, irritation and esophagitis, pulmonary aspiration (the material getting into the lung which may lead to death) and even bubbles in the bloodstream (which is also potentially fatal).

To Read: Belgian Malinois: The best police dog in the world

Give your dog activated charcoal as a last resort:

Activated charcoal can help absorb the toxic elements in chocolate from the gut. The usual dose of charcoal is 1 gram of charcoal powder mixed with 5 milliliters (1 teaspoon) of water for every kilogram of a dog’s weight.

  • This is indeed the last attempt to save your dog without any specialized veterinary care, and this is best done if it is with the advice of a veterinarian.
  • It would not be appropriate to give activated charcoal to a dog that is vomiting, shivering, or shivering. If charcoal gets into the lungs, it can be fatal to a dog.
  • It is extremely difficult to give your dog a large amount of charcoal without using a gastric tube, and you will need to repeat this every 4-6 hours for 2-3 days. Note that your dog’s poop will be black in color and he is likely to develop constipation.
  • Another severe side effect of consuming charcoal is an increase in the level of sodium in the blood, which may cause tremors and convulsions.  These symptoms will look exactly like the neurological symptoms associated with chocolate poisoning.
  • You will need to be careful while using this medicine, as it leaves black stains on fabric, carpets, and paint, often permanent.
  • If your dog does not eat charcoal on his own after you mix it with some canned food, you may need to inject it into his mouth. Unfortunately, this greatly increases the risk due to the possibility of charcoal reaching the lungs and therefore this is not recommended.
  • Avoid frequent use of charcoal with sorbitol as this increases the possibility of diarrhea, dehydration, and more serious dog complications.

Chocolate For Dog: Helpful ideas

Chocolate For Dog: Helpful ideas

  • Take out pet health insurance before an emergency occurs. There are now a lot of companies that provide animal health insurance; so do some research and find what works for you financially. There are insurance plans that cover emergency costs only, and others that provide a comprehensive warranty for everyday parking. Either way, you can save thousands and take care of your dog at the same time as it should in the event of an emergency.

To Read: Beauceron – French Shepherd

Chocolate For Dog: Warnings

  • You may not be able to treat your dog on your own. Contact your veterinarian immediately.
  • Too much peroxide can cause more harm to a dog. Do not give more than 2 doses. It is best to give your dog hydrogen peroxide upon your veterinarian’s advice.
  • Do not let your dog eat chocolate a second time, even if no physical impact occurs. The effect of different types of chocolate on dogs varies. Don’t take any chances. Keep any chocolate out of the reach of dogs.
  • The fatty substance in chocolate may induce vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, even if they have not taken a toxic dose of theobromine. In addition to this, pancreatitis may occur as a secondary result of eating chocolate (due to the fat content), which may be cured on its own with the help of a bland diet (cottage cheese and white rice) for several days, and it may be a serious problem that calls for hospitalization.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button